I've got it all figured out.



Thursday, June 3, 2010

Who's this cool customer? It's Michael Jackson, it's Liberace, it's Darth Vader, it's Slash, it's Mr. Peanut...

About a month ago I was in Kensington Market.


It’s not usually this gay.

I went into this clothing store and low and behold they were selling a pair of spats.



You know, those things old timey gentleman wore over their shoes about 100 years ago.



You don’t see spats too often these days. I’m sure the editors over at  The Chap Magazine dawn them from time to time.



And it wouldn’t surprise me if Michael Jackson had a pair.

Yep, he did.

And maybe even somewhere there’s a Chippendale dancer kicking around who’s added them to his shirtless tuxedo outfit for that special lady in the audience with a foot fetish.



But all in all you don’t see spats being worn too often now.

Now this store wasn’t a vintage store. It was mostly hipster attire and local designers. What I’m trying to say is I believe these spats were newly made and that who ever crafted them did so with the intention of bringing them back for a modern crowd. I can maybe see it. The whole modern dandy look has really hoped on its bone shaker lately and taken off. What with the mustaches.



The hats.

I know, I know but it’s still a step up from the trucker hat.

And the general tweedy/waistcoat/boating blazer/bicycley thing.


How many of you instinctively made a fist when you saw this picture?

Are spats the next step? Am I going to be forced to observe some dickhead coming out of Rotate This wearing these over a pair of Converse? It’s highly probable. And what’s next? What other fashion accessories will these hiptorian Burk & Hares pilfer from poor Bertie Wooster’s coffin? Lets see…

How about the cape the cape?


After seeing Phantom of the Opera back in 1986 my mother was convinced that the cape would become a big fashion accessory again for men. She talked about how men would have one type of cape for work and a flashier one for going out on the town.

Sensible knitted day cape.

More eye catching evening cape

Sadly my mother’s dream of a cape filled late 80s metropolis never came to be. But there’s still time. The cape could rise and flutter again. Adidas has thrown their tri-stripped hat into the modern cape ring with their Star Wars inspired Darth Vader track jacket complete with cape.

Look, it even rolls up into a light saber! How can something be so cool yet so lame?

You know what goes good with a cape don’t you?


That’s right, a top hat. Sadly (actually thankfully) there aren’t too many of these around anymore either. About the only people still wearing them are hard core Goths.

If I were him I’d put a little card in the hat band that said Goth instead of Press

And Slash


Even today’s magicians seem to be shying away from the old magic top hat. Instead they're going for that hip urban look.



Although Chris Angel’s look is so rock star ridiculous that he might come full circle and start wearing a top hat in honor of Slash.


So why is Slash still wearing that thing? Maybe he knows something we don’t. Maybe he knows that the top hat is well overdue for a come back. All those false-bottomed magician top hats are poised to be scooped up by the youth of today.


Hey kids. Keep your keys in me instead of attaching them to your belts because they won’t fit in the pockets of your skinny jeans. Why not add a little pocket to me for your iPhone. You could cut a hole in my felt and add a speaker so you could blast the latest M.I.A. track. The extra weight will keep me on your head while you’re long boarding to the bodega. Whoopy!


It made me cool. Don’t believe me? Ask the Jackson 5 you turkies.



A top hat might make you look cool (no it won’t) but how would you like to LOOK cool. Only one way to do that, bring back the monocle.


Now you might say, What was the point of the monocle? Surely even the lowliest, calf brained proletarian could envision the superiority of the more practical spectacles?! (I’ll assume that the punacular yousage of envision was not intended by you good sirs.) The monocle was not about practicality or superiority. It was about fashion. And when has fashion ever made any sense?



I for one champion the return of the monocle. I’d certainly opt for one over say a pair of reading glasses or one of those Owl magnifying cards.

I wonder if I could get a light up monocle?

Why look like an old coffin dodger from Florida when you could look like Mr. Peanut?


Look, not only was he was wearing skinny jeans before anyone, he’s also got spats, a top hat, a monocle, white gloves and a vanity cane. So go fuck yourself Karl Lagerfeld!

As for me, I think I’ll stick with the tried and tested attire of the true English gentleman. Allan Partridge’s Sport Casual.



P.S. If you thought my mother’s Phantom of the Opera cape idea was crazy, you should have heard her after she saw CATS. I remember her talking about how great it would be if everyone had fur like a cat. And how not only would there be different races but there’d also be different fur types too like calicos and tabbies and how people would cut and style their fur all different ways. (You know the gino cat people would cut their fur to make them selves look huge guy!)


Jheeps file photo: Rum Tum Tugger

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LIBERACE IS BACK !!!!!.....
How to go from Gordon to GLITTERMAN
Michael Douglas IS LIBERACE !!!...
will BE after MattAdore flamencoes to Liberace's Malaguena !!!
Hugh Jackman as the very young Liberace? WHY NOT for the prequel TOO ? !!! Robin Williams as Liberace's manager,Seymour Heller?
YEEEEEEEEEEEESS DYNAMIGHTY !!!..
Kirk Douglas as Liberace's father,Salvatore?WHY THR H*** NOT?
Kathy Bates as Liberace's mom, Frances,SOOOOOOOOOOOOO INTENSELY INTERESTING !!!... Gary Sinise as
Liberace's brother, George ?....
SERIOUS AS A HEART ATTACK !!!...
Sally Field as George's wife,Dora
? (the other Ms in Ms Doubtfire!)
Kurt Russell as Elvis Presley ?
his plastic surgery will be in & out in about an hour.....and
you know I almost thought HE WAS
Elvis ?!!!...George Clooney as Jack Benny ? YEEEEEEEEEESS...you Know he could be just as deliriously funny TOO !!!...Matt
Damon IS SCOTT Thorson!!!...Matt could ecen do..."The Elton John Story" biopic TOO !!!!!